|File: [cvs.NetBSD.org] / src / README.md (download)
Revision 1.4, Tue Oct 23 15:44:42 2018 UTC (3 months, 3 weeks ago) by riastradh
CVS Tags: pgoyette-compat-20190127, pgoyette-compat-20190118, pgoyette-compat-1226, pgoyette-compat-1126, HEAD
Branch point for: pgoyette-compat
Changes since 1.3: +23 -15
Tidy up a bit.
- Quote the opening paragraph from netbsd.org.
- Set the suggested commands in teletype.
- Give pointers in a more active voice.
- Omit trailing whitespace.
- Mention the relation of the Git mirror to the main CVS repository.
- Use a list rather than juxtaposition for the final links.
NetBSD is a free, fast, secure, and highly portable Unix-like Open
Source operating system. It is available for a [wide range of
platforms](https://wiki.NetBSD.org/ports/), from large-scale servers
and powerful desktop systems to handheld and embedded devices.
You can cross-build NetBSD from most UNIX-like operating systems.
To build for amd64 (x86_64), in the src directory:
./build.sh -U -u -j4 -m amd64 -O ~/obj release
Additional build information available in the [BUILDING](BUILDING) file.
- [Daily builds](https://nycdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/HEAD/latest/)
On a running NetBSD system:
cd /usr/tests; atf-run | atf-report
- Send bugs and patches [via web form](https://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/sendpr.cgi?gndb=netbsd).
- Subscribe to the [mailing lists](https://www.netbsd.org/mailinglists/).
The [netbsd-users](https://netbsd.org/mailinglists/#netbsd-users) list is a good choice for many problems; watch [current-users](https://netbsd.org/mailinglists/#current-users) if you follow the bleeding edge of NetBSD-current.
- Join the community IRC channel [#netbsd @ freenode](https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#netbsd).
To fetch the main CVS repository:
cvs -d anoncvs@anoncvs.NetBSD.org:/cvsroot checkout -P src
To work in the Git mirror, which is updated every few hours from CVS:
git clone https://github.com/NetBSD/src.git
- [The NetBSD Guide](https://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/)
- [NetBSD manual pages](http://man.netbsd.org/)
- [NetBSD Cross-Reference](https://nxr.netbsd.org/)